Bastions and towers of San Pancrazio and Elefante in Cagliari
In Cagliari, the capital of Sardinia, there is “Castello”, an ancient fortress, the boundary walls which were built by the Pisans. There also are imposing Spanish and Savoy bastions along the walls. The Tower of San Pancrazio, made of limestone ashlars in 1305, and the Elephant Tower, built in 1307, were the centre of the Pisan fortifications. The Elephant Tower’s name derives from the small calcareous elephant, located on a bracket about 10 m above the street level.