towns and villages | geography | the territory | wildlife | history | man and the territory | to see
local produce | photo gallery | how to get there | festivals |
In Ogliastra, as in the rest of Sardinia, local communities continue the tradition of religious festivals, which often link popular and secular traditions. Visitors, tourists and passers-by, who find themselves in town during festivals, have a valuable opportunity to observe and take part in age-old rites and traditions.
Here is a list of some of the most important religious festivals of the area.
Many take place in small country churches during the hot summer months:
- January 17th > Sant Antonio Abate in all villages
- 1st Sunday in May > Festival of the Madonna delle Grazie at Jerzu; Saint Efesio at Talana
- 3rd Sunday in June > Saint Basil at Urzulei
- June 29th > Saint Peter at Baunei
- 1st Sunday in July > “Stella Maris” at Arbatax
- July 12th and 13th > Saint Salvatore at Perdasdefogu
- 2nd Sunday in July > Saint John at Barisardo
- Last Sunday in July > Festival of Maria l’Ausiliatrice at Lanusei
- August 15th > Saint Mary at Santa Maria Navarrese
- 3rd Sunday in August > Saint George at Urzulei
- September 29th> Saint Michael at Talana