BEHIND THE SEA
½ hour from the beach
- Monte Arbu and the Sette Fratelli granites:
strangely shaped granite rocks, centuries-old holm-oaks, Mediterranean plants, Sardinian deer, views on the Gulf.
- Near the Spiaggia del Riso there is a domus de janas (“home of the fairies”): it is a tomb dug in the rock, dating back to the Neolithic Age (3000 B.C.).
- Near Giardone there is a tomb of the Giants. These were Nuraghic collective tombs (1500 B.C.).
- Near Trajas there is a Roman necropolis: five tombs with several buried objects.
- In the S. Maria area there is a Roman thermal complex.
- 5 km from the town, the conical tower of Capo Boi and Fortezza Vecchia (XVIIth century) overlook the granite headland of Capo Carbonara.
- Archaeological museum, v. A. Frau 3, tel. 070790023.